One of my library school goals is to be able to build a functional, professional website by the time I graduate. While I learned a lot in my Information Tools course, there’s still a lot I don’t know. Fortunately, there are tons of free tools and resources online. Below I’ve listed some that I’ve found really helpful.
Tips and Tutorials
- Don’t Fear the Internet – brief, fun videos on HTML and CSS from designers Jessica Hishe and Russ Maschmeyer
- W3Schools – like HTML Dog, but with a “Try It Yourself” feature that lets you experiment with code
- WordPress Codex – the online manual for WordPress
- Flikr: Creative Commons – photos licensed through Creative Commons. Better than clip art.
- Subtle Patterns – free, downloadable patterns for web designers. I’m using Arches.
- Typekit – tons of fonts. The free package includes two fonts for one website.